Wednesday 10 November 2010

Concerning Students...

Basic rules to follow during a protest:

1) Know your facts

If you don't really understand what the implications of the fee hike actually are, don't talk to the media. I’m getting frustrated hearing “I can’t afford to pay £9,000 per year” being met with “But you realise you wouldn’t have to pay that money up front?” Cue reaction of stifled surprise, followed with sidetracking to avoid the issue. Not only does it make fees seem a more agreeable option - it makes you look stupid.

2) Don’t break stuff

So… students have a reputation for causing criminal damage when drunk. Obviously it’s just a few that ruin it for the many, but it’s a common stereotype. Needlessly smashing stuff up simply reinforces said stereotype, and in turn will not help win the hearts of the nation. Obviously.

---

To be honest, I’m not 100% against student fees going up.

The argument that “They had free education, why can’t we?” carries no weight with me anymore. On all political issues, I think you have to deal with the present situation, rather than constantly wanting to reinstate the past. Take it into account, yes, but consider relevant developments that have happened since then and look for a realistic and fair solution.

On this issue along with millions of others, it’s hard to be impartial when you’re heavily involved, but it’s important to stay open-minded just incase you’re wrong. I can remember being baffled by the party representation across the board at the NUS Conference back in 2003. I have always thought that absolutely toeing any party line shows questionable morality – (surely you can’t agree with one party’s policies on everything and therefore are willing to sacrifice your core beliefs on certain issues) - but when it’s 18/19/20 year olds with ‘Young Tory’/‘Young Labour’ t-shirts on, it smacks of naivety. Or am I just being ageist?

(Anyway, getting back on track… ) I feel that as a nation we need to consider the current university system. This may sound savage, but I think that certain degrees are pointless and are chosen as an easy option. Too many people have been going to university for the lifestyle rather than the education. I’ll put my hands up and say that the lifestyle massively appealed to me… which is why I’m torn: I want as many people as possible to experience the good times that I had, but can the nation afford it? If we can’t then it’s not really fair to keep the party going, is it?

I could write for aaaaaaaaaages on this subject, but I’m probably already boring the handful of people who’ve bothered to read this, so my final point is: We forget as students, (probably because it doesn't feel like you're actually paying anything) that we are the customers. Therefore, ultimately on the issue, I’d be happy to pay back 9k per year IF I received an education that was worth it. The forecasted debt repayments will not be crippling, and I guarantee that my 18 year old self would have worked a lot harder and taken it a lot more seriously had he known there was that much money involved.

3 comments:

  1. I can see what you’re saying and as a student I feel complete and total embarrassment and disappointment when I have to hear and read what some students have to say. Although I do believe journalists are very clever in picking individuals who are going to make complete fools of themselves, as well as having great editorial skills when they go around and interview 20 people and pick out 4 people to use in their news report which is shown on channels where the corporation involved and owner (good old Rupert) has political opinions and allegiances. This is very cynical but just trying to defend the average student we're not all stupid :). Secondly I agree with a lot of what you’re saying that students must take their studying more seriously, but to leave university with 27000 pounds in the red before you've even obtained a job and with the employment levels as they are with it incredibly hard to find a job you are already in a heap of trouble financially. You also have 3600 pounds worth of debt on top of that for maintenance loans (paying your rent and living your life). NB this is only on a 3 year degree without a masters or PHD or taking into account medical students who do 5 to 6 years although it is subsidised by the NHS later down the course. So I pose the situation after finishing University. You finish university at 21-24 years of age, now you must try and find a job which you are not guaranteed to do immediately at all and if you can it may not pay at all well. You have to find a flat/house to rent which is not going to be at the cheap price a student house cost plus you are now going to have to pay good old council tax as well as general taxes now you are no longer a student. On top of that you have a roughly 30000 pound debt sitting over the top of your head which you must pay off. When are modern day students going to be able to finally pay of that student debt considering all the other elements? 5 years 10 years? When you’re thinking about getting married and buying your first property and having to obtain a mortgage...more debt? When you start thinking about having children late 20s and you have to save for their future?? This country is in debt of over 700 billion pounds and the future of this country. Its future leaders, doctors, teachers, nurses are all having to suffer for (now the ageism comes in) what the older 'supposed wiser’ individual who didn’t have to pay for their university academia have done. One more note; you said 'I’d be happy to pay back 9k per year IF I received an education that was worth it'. Well take the situation I am in where my University has brought in mammoth cuts through out and especially in my field of studies so I have lost my academic advisor, we can no longer have tutorials because there are not enough staff to facilitate them. Is that worth 9K a year...I don't say I can agree. Btw Ben its Alex your little bro...lots of love mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is worth a read, mate

    http://exquisitelife.researchresearch.com/exquisite_life/2010/11/what-the-demo-violence-means-for-higher-student-fees.html

    Wallace

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh btw i do not condone any of the violence which occured today only the peaceful protesting at the beginning x

    ReplyDelete